Saturday, February 15, 2014

FEBRUARY 15, 2014. ALL TIMES ARE TIMES TO TRUST THE LORD

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15

Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8

All Times Are Times to Trust the Lord

In Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts, author Jerry Bridges admitted: “For many years in my own pilgrimage . . . I was a prisoner to my feelings. I mistakenly thought I could not trust God unless I felt like trusting Him (which I almost never did in times of adversity). Now I am learning that trusting God is first of all a matter of the will and is not dependent on my feelings. I choose to trust God, and my feelings eventually follow.”
Why should we trust God? Because He is trustworthy. Our emotions might not say so. Circumstances might not say so. But His Word says that He is always faithful. Therefore, as Psalm 62 proclaims, all times are times to trust the Lord. The key is verse 8: “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."
David painted a vivid picture of God’s character in this psalm. He is our refuge, our salvation, our source of hope, and our source of rest. He is a fortress and a mighty rock. He is the One who protects us, rescues us, and wins the victory for us. We are perfectly safe in saying to Him, “my times are in your hands” (Ps. 31:15).
We don’t know the occasion or background for this psalm, but David was under attack (vv. 3–4). Perhaps enemies were plotting against his throne. Perhaps they were people close to him, for he described them as treacherously saying one thing but doing another. He felt like a “tottering fence,” about to collapse under the pressure.
Instead, he took refuge in the Lord. Having done so, he could “find rest” (vv. 1, 5). Faith and trust in God bring to one’s heart a peace that transcends human understanding (Phil. 4:7).


Taken from the Word for You Today Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment