Friday, April 18, 2014

APRIL 17, 2014. THE THREE THORNS (2)

THURSDAY APRIL 17
“Thorns...shall it bring forth to thee.” Ge 3:18

THE THREE THORNS (2)

Heaven’s answer to a thorn-cursed creation was a thorn-crowned Savior. But notice something important. God didn’t remove the thorns; He decided to use them for his redemptive purposes. That’s why we each get: (3) A custom-designed thorn. Here’s how Paul describes his thorn: “Lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me...For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, ‘My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then I am strong” (2Co 12:7-10). The word “buffet” means “to render blow, after blow, after blow.” Does that describe your life at the moment? If Paul’s experience is anything to go by, the Christian life is a series of blessings and buffetings. And the God who promises the first, permits the second. Why? To make sure we live our lives dependant on Him. Look what God used to make sure Paul relied totally on Him: “Infirmities, reproaches, necessities, persecutions, distresses.” Where do you find strength to handle such a catalog of complaints? From God--and God alone. You say, “I want to be more fruitful in the service of the Lord.” That happens when the thorny situations in life drive us closer to God!

Taken from the Word for You Today Devotional




No comments:

Post a Comment